The Oracle of Yesterday

 

There she stood speaking aloud

As we entered her temple as devout

And I asked her, why didn’t you foresee

The arriving doom and perdition between

 

I’ll tell you everything, she said

But first the little man’s got to go

And as he left…she explained

You did not ask so I did not task to see

 

But I asked you, I had to state,

Of Misfortunes and misery that await

And you said there is no menace of any form

My kingdom will remain through any storm

 

I would go on, she said

But First the little man’s got to go

As I looked behind, t’was an overhearing head

Popping inside the hall’s grand curtains

 

You’ve come to me with answers you’ve known

Reaping the questions, you’ve already sown

And haven’t I given you back your sleep

Comforting your knowledge that lies within, deep

 

At the visit’s end, I asked her

Why did the little man have to go

He is never meant to lead, she replied

only destined to  follow

 

by Hans Albert Lewis

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment